Loyalty by far helps set a strong foundation for other things to flourish in a relationship, such as trust and respect. This is because loyalty comes from how you act and your choices. There's only one way to demonstrate loyalty and it is through your actions. In some studies, loyalty has been shown to contribute to happier relationships because relationship satisfaction is connected to how strongly a couple feels supported by their partner. Loyal partners tend to do better at keeping their word to their partners. So here are some ways that loyalty expresses love and commitment in a relationship:
- Being loyal means respecting your partner's weaknesses and supporting him/her when needed to overcome those weaknesses. This can help to build trust in a relationship.
- Being loyal means refraining from bad mouthing your partner to close friends or family members. Talking badly about your partner to others is disrespectful, and undermines your partner. If you have a complaint, address it with your partner face to face. This conveys respect for your partner.
- Being loyal means taking care of your partner's needs before others. Evaluate your ability to fulfill promises or commitments you have made to your partner first before agreeing to commitments elsewhere.
- Being loyal means accommodating your partner, especially when it comes to engaging in their interests and not yours. This is about supporting them in their hobbies or work related events, even if you are not interested or something else comes up in your schedule.
- Being loyal means standing up for your partner when others are putting him/her down. Even if there are legitimate reasons to what other people are saying, going along with it or letting it slide conveys that you are allowing your partner to stand alone when others are against him/her.
Humans are by far not the most loyal creatures. Chris Brown was right in pointing out that "these girls aint loyal" because loyalty can sometimes be bought by the highest bidder or rapper. If humans were ever as loyal to each other as our canine friends are to us, relationships would be a lot less complicated. We are so easily tempted to chase after fleeting feelings and this weakness affects our relationships in large ways. Thankfully, loyalty is an attitude and your attitude is a choice. Even if it has been hard to be loyal, you can still choose to act in ways that convey your loyalty.